Living Less

From the title I bet you would guess that this is going to be a sad post. I guess what I should title it would be "Living with Less" Over the last couple decades our society has been pounding into us "the more stuff you have the happier you will be." Well thankfully that movement is on it's way out and the "minimalist" lifestyle is on the way in!

About two months ago I moved in with my boyfriend. It was the right move for us and I'm super glad we did it before marriage because I can't take all that change at once. I was bad enough that my life has been chock full of change this whole year but nothing like getting married and moving in. In the moving process I became very overwhelmed with the amount of stuff that I had collected over the last five years living in Wilmington. Some I had brought with me from college and some I had acquired trying to fill a house that I knew one day I would move out of. I guess I thought and hoped I would meet a guy that didn't have much in terms of nice furniture and we could use my house full of furniture...Well I think I got the opposite. I met someone who owned his own house and had a house full of furniture too! So aside from the fact that I had anxiety about moving to begin with I had to get rid of a lot of my stuff! I was not prepared for this. I kept putting off the task until really I had one day to get the rest of my stuff out of my old house and into my new house. In that time I realized I didn't need most of what was in my house!

To be fair this whole minimalist project started a couple months prior when I needed to clean out the third bedroom of my old house so I could have a friend move in for the last couple months we were in the house. My roommates helped me go through and get rid of SO much stuff. Why had I been moving clothes I wore in high school. 1. I'm not the size I was in high school. 2. What was I thinking with my style?! Yikes!

Needless to say the process is still on going. I am still making piles at my new house of thing to donate. I'm definitely at the beginning of this journey, what are some tips and tricks that you use? I would love to hear how you have made your life more simple and how wonderful you are feeling now!

Until next time! XO

Comments