Daily Gratitude Checks

One thing that I've been trying and really failing to do is log a little bit of gratitude everyday. I'm trying to find the even the smallest thing to be grateful for on days that I don't feel like being grateful at all.

Very few people know, but I ended up going on an antidepressant over this past summer. I knew I  hadn't been feeling like myself but it got to the point that I was always anxious to the point of shutting down. I didn't want to see anyone, talk to anyone, be around anyone even. Did I mention I married a little over a year ago?... Not the way I wanted to feel during my first year of marriage.

I started thinking everything was situational. I had a pretty rough 18 months, lost my business partner right before my wedding, ended up running everything and not getting very many days off, not knowing how to step away from the business even for a short vacation, a few health issues popped up. Not nearly as bad as some people but enough that I thought if I can get through this season, I would feel better. Well the season kept going and going and going. Finally some my health issues (nerve pain) got so annoying I finally went to see the doctor. When they were taking my vitals, the nurse asked "Have you had any depression?" Without even thinking I replied, "Yes." That's when I absolutely knew I needed to talk to my doctor about my mental health. She prescribed me an antidepressant that is also used for general anxiety and sensorimotor nerve pain. What do you know, I got diagnosed with that the next week.

I'm about 2.5 months in and feeling like myself again. It was pretty recent that I was out with friends and really noticed how different my attitude was. I found myself recently anytime we were out with friends, bailing early, coming up with an excuse to go home, or just not really talking, and definitely not laughing. I stayed out until midnight the other night and that hasn't happened in A LONG time.

All of this to say, I don't want to rely on medication to make me feel better forever. I know it may take longer to get all the chemicals balanced again, but I also want to be doing everything I can to make sure I'm helping myself to get back to my best life. This is one of those little things that I think can help anyone. I want to find at least one thing in each day to be grateful for so I can fight the anxiety. So I set up a spread in my Bullet Journal (yes, I'm on the bandwagon. And yes, I love it!)

Edit: So some of you may have heard of a woman named Rachel Hollis. If not, what rock have you been under? Just kidding, but go look her up. I've decided to follow her #Last90Days and write down 10 things I'm grateful for each day. Yesterday was the first day, and I won't lie that it was hard to come up with 10 that weren't so generic to encompass everything. I'm really trying to get to the nitty gritty with this. I'll leave a link to Rachel's site for you to check it out!

Let me know if you're following along,  what you're #5 is, and how you are finding gratitude in the smallest of places down below!


XO ~Ashley

Comments