Get Out There

As I writing my list out I said I wanted to see all the lighthouses in the next three years, which is quickly becoming two years. Anyways, I thought as I was writing "this will never happen but I'm writing it anyways." Well I am now 1.5 lighthouses through on my tour. Yes I am 1/2 counting the second lighthouse because I saw, just not up close. :) But I will see that one before the end of the 1001 days.

Sunday I was heading down to a funeral for a coworkers father and I used it as an opportunity to get away for a bit. Southport/Oak Island area is about 30 miles outside Wilmington but feels like it is way farther away. After the funeral a friend of mine and I went to walk around Southport. It was hot and humid here Sunday and I was in a dress but it was nice. We went out to the water front and sat on a bench enjoying the breeze and I asked what the tall thing sticking up above the trees was way on the horizon. Turns out you can see Bald Head Island from Southport... I'm really geographically challenged, just throwing that out there. Then my friend points out the lighthouse that I definitely should have seen by now, and of course I do the blonde thing, "Where is that one?" Oh you know, the island that we had just been on. So I did what any excited person would do "LET'S GO!" He warned me we couldn't walk to the top, but I didn't care, I just wanted to go!


Stop #1 on the Lighthouse tour. Standing at the bottom of this massive thing and looking up is crazy. My even "attempted" to push it over.


After seeing the lighthouse I wanted to head over the beach, because I mean we're that close, so why not? There was a beach access right across the street, when we were walking up the ramp my friend spots these berries.


Wild blackberries! I haven't had blackberries since I lived at home before college. I was so excited but I was always nervous to pick some back in the bush because of the thorns. Well my friend is a little impatient so of course he jumps down and finishes.


Perfect afternoon snack

Then the walk on the beach was very adventurous! First there was this pink brain looking...


Maybe a piece of coral?

Then these things that look like snake skins...


They're kinda all mixed in with the seaweed and junk. Then the most exciting find!


SEA TURTLE!! I've never seen one of there guys on our coasts. And its been on my bucket list to see sea turtles hatch but this was a pretty close second. Look at that face!

Then I'm not really sure what this is? Any ideas?


You never know what's going to happen when you get out there are be adventurous, but you know nothing will ever happen if you stay on your couch.


Your next adventure may end up being a once in a lifetime.

Until next time! xo

Comments

Post a Comment