Eat Fresh and Local

One of the many reasons I love summer is all the fresh produce I can find locally; and my city has SO many farmer's markets and local farm stands!

I love the atmosphere of walking around and checking out all the local produce and goods. When I wasn't working on Saturdays I loved our Riverwalk Farmer's Market. Nothing better than being on the river and planning out meals depending on what I find at the market. We have also awesome fresh flowers and great jams, jellies, and honeys!


All those Peonies!! My heart is happy!


Photo Courtesy of Lisa Kurtz

I also really like the Wrightsville Beach Farmers market and love that it is on Monday! I can go on my day off! The last couple weeks I've been going after a long paddle in the mornings. Is there really a better way to start your day?

Photo from Wrightsville Beach Farmers Market

Wrightsville beach also has other vendors that sell fresh berries, salt scrubs and finishing salts(that are made from local sea salt! How cool right??) Check out the Sea Love here


Photos of Riverfront Farmers Market

I love eggs! I can go through a carton of eggs each week, and this is so cool that I can pick up fresh eggs right here!


One of my other favorite things about early season Farmer's Market is the herbs! I do not have a green thumb unfortunately and I have to purchase plants multiple times during the year. But I can afford it when they are great prices like this.

Any tips for the keeping these suckers alive? I need all the help I can get!

Another local gem is the Port City Produce Stands with two locations in Wilmington. Everything is localish (I say that, because not everything is New Hanover and surrounding counties, but it's all very close) and fresh fresh. While I was there they were getting another shipment of fresh produce.

 Photos of Port City Produce- Market Street


Here is a list of the local Farmer's Markets in my area by day of the week, since not everyone works a M-F 9-5 :)

Monday- Wrightsville Beach 8-1
Tuesday- Poplar Grove
Wednesday- Southport
Thursday- St. James, located on Oak Island (afternoon)
Saturday- Riverfront Park, downtown Wilmington 8-1
                Carolina Beach 8-1

Until next time! xo

Comments