LOVE...

I know it seems sappy and so hopeless romantic, but that's not exactly where this post is going.

Each year since I moved to Wilmington I have picked one word to focus on instead of a list of resolutions for the new year. My church calls it My One Word; if you would like more information check out myoneword.org. It's not too late to join and change the way you think about resolutions. 

This last year held some pretty big changes for me and while most of them were great I felt very sinical and hard hearted during some of the holiday season. It wasn't all toward others, some of it was towards myself as well. It's a natural part of life that we grow towards others and grow apart from others. I truly believe that some people are put into our lives for a season and others are put in for the long haul. I'm having trouble with the changing relationships in my life. Some of them I feel like I am growing away and others I feel the opposite is true.

Both of these are hard to deal with and both of these situations require love. Love is hard; everyone thinks it is easy but it is not. Love takes work and patience. When you feel like you are growing away from your friends sometimes there are feelings that they could be better, should be better; but they aren't you. They are growing at their rate, in their own time. And they require love where they are.

Now the other situation... This one feels to me even harder because it doesn't involve being upset with someone else. What is really boils down to is not feeling good enough about yourself. We have a tendency to judge our lives at the pace of our friends. It doesn't work like that and it can't.  We have to understand that just because someone else is moving faster, seems to have everything together, or has everything you think you want; it doesn't mean they are better than us or have it together more than we do. We also let how other people treat us define us. Just becuase someone loses interest or moves on to other pastures doesn't mean they are better than you pasture. We have to love ourselves to understand that it is ok and that we are right where we are meant to be.

So this year my goal is to love. Love others, and love myself.  

Comments