Compliments

So over the last couple weeks, people have been noticing more and more that I'm starting to lose some weight. And I'm finding more and more how bad I am at taking compliments. I've never felt like I enjoyed being center stage or having people look at me or watch me. I'm much more comfortable being on the outskirts of a group and a "wallflower." I get really shy and turn really red. Anyone else have this problem, that you can't control how red your face turns or the bigger problem, how quickly it turns red!? 

A friend gave me a compliment last week that I don't think I have ever in my life gotten. She told me how great my legs were. I immediately brushed it off and said something to the effect of "Better, but not where I want them to be." This has kinda bothered me all week because what did she think after my comment? Did she feel like I didn't take her opinion serious, or that I didn't care what she thought? 

It was one of the nicest things I've heard in a while and I value this person's opinion quite a bit. So why did I brush it off so quickly? I think it may be about self confidence, about body image. We all put on this face about "I love my body" but I think sometimes I find it really hard to actually believe. The media shows us everyday what the "beautiful woman" is and even at my smallest my body shape was no where near what a models is. I'm not built that way. 

I also need to remember that I have lost weight, even the small amount. I am no longer the same size and I don't need to beat myself up over it. I need to celebrate the steps it takes to lose the weight that I put on over about 6 years. It won't happen in a blink, and it takes work. Even more important, I am strong! This is whats important; thats whats really important, being strong and healthy.

Be happy with who you are at the moment, all you have accomplished, and say "thank you" when someone notices the work you've been putting in.

Comments