Need Some Motivation?

There has been a lot of hype over activity trackers the last few months. I looked at a ton of articles that review and compare different fitness trackers. There were pros and cons to all of them and I ended up picking the UPband by Jawbone.


I've been wearing the band sicne Monday after work and it helps me keep tracker of
1. The number of steps I've taken
2. My sleep patterns
3. What I'm eating
4. Timed exercises/workouts



It's simple to use. Wear it and plug it into your phone a couple times a day to sync and watch your progress. It's super easy to sync, and there were a lot of complaints online about having to do this, but really, it takes a few seconds and I'm not sure what the big deal is about.


The sleep tracker was one of the things that finally sold me with some recommendations from friends. I have been using MotionX sleep app for a couple months, but since Finn sleeps in the bed with me most nights I felt like it tracked some of his movements, not just mine. But I loved the idea and theory behind the app. The UP band uses that same technology to track sleep. It uses your bodies movements and wakes you up during your light sleep so you are less groggy. You can also track naps and set a timer for your naps.


UP band breaks everything down and lets you set goals for each day. I have 8hours of sleep as a goal and 10,000 steps as a goal. It breaks it down to idle time, active time, calorie burn, which this is great since you can track calorie burn during most exercise, but what about all the daily stuff. So as of 2:30 today I was at 94% of my goal. I can definitely get those last 600 in before bed. I like to keep track of it so I can know exactly where I stand and can push myself to be more active.

Where you see the little red flag and the person running (above) is where I added a timed workout. You can go in and customize these workouts to a specific type of workout, and intensity level. It is pretty accurate with calories count but you can go in and add miles for spinning or kayaking or anything like that. I WISH you could do that!! But honestly that would be the only thing I would change.



The app has a feature called "lifeline where it shows all your stat since you first synced your band. This helps track your trends. It's just really cool.


It also has a trends tab! This lets you see totals from the week, month, which ever you decide. You can see if there is a day of the week that you tend to work less or nights that you sleep less.

The last really cool feature is that you can add people to your team and their stats show up as well. Helps with accountability which we all know I'm big on. I find myself competing with my roommate who also has a band. If she reaches her target or way out  passes her goal for the day I want to too.


The main thing is find a product or system that you like and stick with it. It's all about preference and what works best for you and your life.

Go get to stepping!

Comments