"The International Year of Quinoa"

So if you read any type of health blog or articles I know you have heard of quinoa. If not, it's pronounce keen-wah. Just in case you go to ask about it, I'm looking out for ya. I want you to sound like you know what you're talking about. :)

I went to a cooking class at William Sonoma last night (which if you have one in your area, you should really check out. Plenty of food and great tips and recipes) and we learned a couple new recipes and I learned to like quinoa. I had it at a local restaurant and it was bitter and I never wanted to have it again. Well Margo changed my mind, this was nutty and delicious.

Besides being delicious, quinoa is GREAT for you! It has anti-flammatory properties and is similar to other foods the reduce the risk type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease. There haven't been enough tests completed but it shows promise for reducing the risk of cancer as well.

She started by rinsing the quinoa in a sieve. I tested with just a few pieces to make sure they wouldn't slip through, and they didn't. This step is key since the shell on the seed can be very bitter.


Ingredients:
1 cup quinoa
3 cups water, chicken brother, or vegetable broth
2 clove garlic
onion

Once they dries I began by sweating an onion and 2 garlic gloves in olive oil. I used a Tuscan Herb olive oil tonight. Once the onions were beginning to get soft, I added 3 cups of quinoa and let it toast for a few minutes. After about 2 minutes add either chicken broth or water. Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer and cover. Let it cook covered for 15-20 minutes or until there is no more water in the pot. So like you would rice. Tonight I added a can of black beans a packet of Italian dressing mix red chile flakes. If I had an Ranch seasoning packet in my pantry I would have used that too. After I added the beans it needed to cook down a little bit more too. And that's it! Easy peasy lemon squeezy!



And yes, I know it looks like a pile of poo, but it sure doesn't taste like it. Your mother always said, don't judge a book by its cover. Smae principle applies here. Just trust me, you won't regret it.

Hope this is for dinner again soon!

Here are other variations to try:
cranberries and toasted walnuts
mac and cheese
broccoli, carrots, peas, and cheese
use for oatmeal in the mornings with your favorite toppings

The world is limitless!

For those who are worried about the look of the quinoa, there are also white and red quinoa. I just happened to only find the black. They all supposedly taste the same, but I haven't tried the others.

Until next time! xo

Comments