My One Word


At the beginning of last year, I heard a sermon at Port City Community Church, or PC3 as we loving refer to it, about My One Word. The whole premise of the study is to take one word and use that instead of a resolution for the year.

Last year my word was time. I was having a hard time keeping engagements with friends, making time to see people, giving God the time He deserves. All I wanted to do was go home and curl up on the couch with my dog. I didn't want to do or see anyone. I figured it would be a push in the right direction. And it was, until I started forgetting my word, and letting things slide. And as I sit here writing this I get a text, and my first thought is "eeeh, I don't really want to go all the way over there and be out that late." Maybe I should consider considerate for this year, but that's later in the post.

I know it's not last year, but I don't want to slide back after the effort I put into my word last year. It would be very easy for me to just go to work, go to the gym, and go home and just stay there. It would also be easy for me to cancel appointments, change my mind on going to the gym and just go straight home. I worked really hard this last year to get out of funk I had really since I moved to Wilmington. I don't do well with change. Which makes me think step would be a good word for this year. Step out on faith, take the step toward changes.

Mike, the Senior Pastor at PC3, stresses the point that we shouldn't rush to pick a word just to have one, but to pray about what God should have us focus on for this next year. And that's just what I'm doing. I like to start with a list of possible words and pray about each one and ask where He would lead me. In all this prayer I also seem to notice more words to add to my list. As I pray I mark off words I know are not meant for me this year until there is one left. I had my word last year within about two weeks of starting my list, but I'm giving myself until the end of the month. I started out with a list of about 8 words then I followed an activity from the book and pick the top five that jumped out to me. Those were:

Confident
Strong
Trusting
Considerate
Organized

I immediately threw out organized since I think that is a personal issue and I would want to focus on that for selfish reason, and that's not the point of this. Selfless maybe should have been added to that list.

The next step is to define the words and find scripture where each word is used, for some of mine there were about ten different scripture sites and I'm not done going through them yet. So thats what I'll be doing.

Funny thing is I thought until tonight I knew what my word would be, but after this I'm not so sure. I'll be praying on it for the next couple weeks and see exactly where God is leading me. I'll be sure to update you when I have it figured out.

Feel free to try this out this year and be sure to let me know your word. We can help each other by accountable.

Until next time! xo

Comments