Paddle boarding

After a great night last night, it was an early morning to pick Lisa up and head to the beach. We aimed to make it to the beach about 8 so we could paddle for an hour and and not have to pay for parking. Didn't quite make 8 but who knew you didn't have to pay for parking at Wrightsville until 9?? Awesome right?

And guess who didn't know when the shop opened either... this girl. But we made the best of it and walked out to the beach and laid on the beach for an hour before we trucked back over the Aussie Island to get our boards. I guess I should have made a reservation but it worked out anyways and after much confusion Lisa and I got our boards and hauled them to the waterway. Now we didn't have water proof cases for our phones and we're both quite clumsy so we thought it would be better to leave them at the shop. My luck I would have fallen off and the phone would be toast! So here is a picture of what we did, not big waves though!


Today was the perfect, still water, with a little current, and a slight breeze. The water was so refreshing when it splashed up on the board and over our feet. Because the only downside today was the HUMIDITY! It feels like you're walking in to sauna.

But! I was so proud of myself. It's been a year since I last went paddling and I stayed on my knees until we were under the bridge but I stood right up after. The only thing I'm not too fond of is boats coming through the waterway. I thought it was a no wake, but.... it's not. the first boat that came by I immediately went back on my knees so I wouldn't fall off from the wake. Later I got a little more brave and stayed standing during the wake. :)

So for those who don't know what SUP is, you stand on a board shaped similar to a surfboard and your have a paddle similar to a canoe paddle, but much longer. Can't wait to get one of my own so I can go whenever I want!

Comments