The 15 Doughnuts

Today at Port City Community Church Pastor Jeff brought out a seven foot tall tower of doughnuts and a smaller about 1 foot tower of doughnuts. The smaller tower had 15 doughnuts on it and the taller one had 85 (well more but they all started to crush during the first service so he had to add more). He used the doughnuts to illustrate the happiness of a marriage; but I think it can go to all things in life. He said the 15 doughnuts were things that we wanted that kept up unhappy in our relationship (in my case, life in general). I keep fascinating on what I want so badly that I get angry with those who stand in my way. I don't understand why people can't seem to understand that I really want these things or even need these things, then it drives a wedge in my relationship. Looking back I can completely see how this has happened in my life, many times, not just with boyfriends, but also with friends.

The real problem comes in when I couldn't be happy with the 85 doughnuts that were perfect in life. I needed those other 15 to make me really happy. I keep thinking if only i had this, or if only he would be more like this... and so on. So my goal is to continue to focus on the 85 percent of my life that it perfect, continuing to focus on the present and being content with the present. What are your 15 doughnuts? Don't tell me, since I'm not telling you mine, but just think on that and try to focus on the 85 instead :)

I'll leave you with Philippians 4:8-9 (MSG) Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious-the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse. Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and saw and realized. Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies.

Comments