The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (A Beginner Runner's Tale)

A couple months ago I said to a friend that I just wasn't cut out to be a runner. I was good at cycling and I thought that should be my primary form of cardio. Well I think that's silly to just give up that easy.

So I decided to change that. I had the Nike+ running app already on my phone and had used it in the past but more recently I went with mapmyfitness so I could track all my workouts in one place. Nike+ has done some major improving since I left it and now they have a coaching option that I love! It sets up a running schedule for you, throws in cross-training and includes plenty of rest days.



The program starts off asking what race you are signing up for, and your running level (beginner, intermediate, or advanced) Of course I am starting off with a beginner 5k. It works to help build up your endurance and stamina during your runs.


The first we I had the good and the bad in my runs. My first run was awesome! I felt great, set two records and couldn't wait to get back out there and run again.


Then I had a not so great run. I was eaten alive by flies, got cut by a bramble of some kind, it hurt, and I couldn't breathe. The runners high was over quick on that run.

I'm not going to lie and say that I was eager to get back out there and run again anytime soon, but I was determined to not give up this time. I had one bad run and I wasn't going to give up that easily. I know in all things there are ups and downs and you just have to keep pushing.

Today was a better run.


It was a little slower, but I went farther and pushed through some comfort zones.

And Nike+ has other great ways of making you set goals and bust through them.


So tomorrow I have a four mile run, longest distance I have run with the Nike+ app ever. So here's to hoping it is a good run and not bad or ugly....

Until next time! xo

Comments