The Wrightsville Beach Mailbox


This afternoon my roommate and I went down to Wrightsville Beach to walk. I've been wanting to go down to the beach, and I've spent a lot of time in the gym lately and wanted a change of scenery. We started off at a good pace, did a couple reps of lunges and just thought we were going out for a workout. We use MapMyFitness and Nike+ to track our workouts and we looked at our phone to see how we were doing and the GPS had us walking on water... Pretty cool right? Well what it brought us to was even more awesome!

We got curious wondering if we could walk to the other island we saw on GPS, which I think is Figure 8, but I'm not really sure. Anyways, we rounded the end the beach on the North End and there is a mailbox beside a bench right at the edge of the dunes. Nothing else all around. We got a little curious and thankfully there is cellphone service out there, so we googled it! What we found out was so cool!


A family put a mailbox at the North End in 2003. Its been moved twice since because of hurricanes. The mailbox is inscribed  with "Leave a note" and inside there was a notebook, a couple pens, shells, and bird feathers. Treasures that people have found on the beach, leaving in a special location.


I think one of the best things about The Wrightsville Beach Mailbox is the peace I felt while there. The only thing we heard were the laughs of friends and families, and waves. Everyone has a spot where they just feel at home and or where they feel the most at ease. For some it's sitting on a mountain, others it's in the gym; mine is at the beach. I don't think there is another place on Earth that I feel God's presence or feel like I am the most me; if that makes sense. My safe place, or the place where I go to think or be by myself, is the beach whenever possible.

When it was our chance to get up close to the mailbox we got see the true treasure that this is. We opened the book and I immediately felt the love that had been poured into this place. Some entries were funny "My name is Trevor. I'm 13 and I want to find someone to date. PS I'm a boy." and some were really tear-jerking.


I'm really jealous of one entry. A female wrote about the great day they were having and how great the weather was. Under her entry, I'm guessing her boyfriend wrote "and a great day to get engaged." I hope she said yes. I sitting looking out the ocean I could see couples coming there, leaving memories in the book, happy memories and making new memories. Or a group of friends going out on the last day or night they would all be together for a while and writing memories they share. I could also see a girl coming out and writing, tears hitting the pages after a break-up. It's amazing how people feel comfortable enough to put those feelings out there in a public way. Most people signed their entries, leaving prayers, thanksgiving, and hope to others.

 I have a feeling this won't be my only trip to the mailbox.

There is just a beauty that is unlike any other for me when I'm on or near the water. I officially cannot wait for warmer weather, when hopefully I will be on the beach many many days making more memories with my wonderful friends!

All photos taken by the lovely Maggie Brock.

And another reason I can't wait for warmer weather....


... This beauty is about to be mine! Looking forward to help shape and paint my new PADDLE BOARD! Thanks Pilot Surfboards! I'll be posting new pictures and updates as we work on the board.

Until next time! xo

Comments

  1. Ashley, I sent you a note last night on google hangout. I am the mother who wrote the note about Bethany that is pictured in this blog. She was 7 years old when she was killed by a drunk driver in a car wreck on January 18, 1994. I was at Wrightsville Beach on the anniversary of her death with a friend and I wrote that note the day after.
    I was searching on-line for a photo of the mailbox to give to my friend Amy for her birthday. Seeing the picture of my note in your blog took my breath away. Thanks for including it.
    I want to see if you could send me a picture of the mailbox. I like the one on your blog. If you could do that, please send it by e-mail to jrush1464@gmail.com

    Thank you so much.
    Warmly,
    Jan Rush

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment