Purple and Yellow Wedding Cake

Last week's wedding definitely had it's ups and downs; and I can definitely say that it was a learning experience.


When I first met last week's couple, I knew the bride had a wonderful vision for her wedding! She came with photos of cakes she liked and there weren't very many questions asked about cake or decisions to be made. She knew she wanted an almond pound cake with almond buttercream.

Here's the recipe for the cake :)

Ingredients:

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup (or 1 stick) butter
2 eggs
2 tsp almond extract (or you can substitute this for any flavoring you like)
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350. Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add one egg at a time mixing well. Stir in extract.

In a separate bowl mix together flour and baking powder. Slowly add in flour mixture and mix well. Add milk and mix just until incorporated.

Bake until cake bounces back when touched or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.

This is a pretty dense cake and great for stacking cakes or one that needs to travel. Tastes great but if you're looking for a light fluffy cake, might want to use another recipe :)


This cake has fresh flowers for it's main decoration. I love fresh flowers on a cake. But you don't want to just stick them in the cake. Wrap the ends in floral tape. Even if the stems have been cleaned there is still a chance for dirt to get into the cake. Some people may not care, but I would rather be safe.


Here are my Lessons Learned from this cake:
#1- Don't trust store bought products


In what world is this purple????

#2- always check the details of the cake order before you buy supplies
#3- make a list when going to the store
      I ended up going to AC Moore twice in one day because I fail to make lists

I know there will be plenty of future lessons to learn from cakes and I look forward to sharing those with you too!

Until next time! xo

Comments