First Cake Post!

I'm really nervous writing this post, because we all want to show the good work we do and not the so called failures we see in our own work. I wasn't pleased with the beginning of my work today on this cake, but a great cake cake decorator once told me, "It isn't a making a perfect cake that makes us good,  its what mistakes we are able to fix so no one notices that makes us good."

Well after I got the fondant covering the cakes I had some mistakes to fix.


Thankfully this cake design let me have a little freedom to correct those mistakes. If this had been another design, we may have had a bigger issue.

Fondant can be VERY temperamental, and I just need more practice in cover cakes. You have to work fast or the fondant will start drying out, like it did here and thats why it began tearing once I attempted to smooth the fondant down the sides.

The design already had wines going around the cake so I decided to border each tier and vines and then have vines coming up the sides of the cake. This fixed the majority of the issue but not completely.


Fondant sticks to fondant by using a small amount of water or vodka. I didn't have vodka, which does work better since it evaporates faster, but I normally use water.



Just a little water will do on a paint brush and presto! Instant glue :) It will even make the fondant stick to the side of a cake, which is what I love so much. So many options for design.

Last night some friends came over for dinner and I love it when new people want to help out and learn about what I love to do. So while I'm manning the oven and making sure the cakes were done, a friend was dying and rolling out fondant to stamp for the flowers. We made quite a few then I put them on this board that makes the flowers curved so they stand out on the cake, make it more realistic.


So here is what the cake looks like! No more tears in the fondant (or at least that you can see)


This isn't actually the final product, I added more flowers and yellow centers to the flowers. But I didn't get picture after this one. Fail!

Until next time! xo

Comments