Build a Better Burger

Ok, so this post may not be as healthy as most of the others I've put up, but it sure was fun and would be healthier than going out for a burger. This is more of a "Here let's celebrate and have something fun" kind of meal.

What I love so much about making a burger at home is that you know exactly what is in your food. You get to manage whats in the hamburger and there aren't any hidden ingredients. And you can cook them to your preference. I still recommend well done for any hamburger or 160 F to ensure the bacteria is killed and you don't get food poisoning. But some people really like the outside black with those little crispies from the grill. If you like those, you know what I'm talking about.

I like to keep the meat simple, just a  little worcestershire sauce, some garlic powder or salt (your preference but I like to limit my salt intake) and egg for a binder. Some people prefer A1 sauce in burgers, again play with it and find out what you really like. Have fun, play with your food!

Where you can have the most fun I think is the toppings! A friend of my roommates wanted to make burgers and he said he wanted to put a spin on it. My roommate is always a little hesitant when I want to change up a recipe or put something kinda crazy in it, but she said I've never led her astray and she's getting more adventurous. So when her friend wanted to put an egg on the burgers she was hesitant but trusting.


If you've never had an egg on your burger, this probably does sound a little crazy to you, but it's really not. You don't taste a lot of the egg, just adds a different texture and some more protein, like a hamburger needs more protein. But hey, it's tasty!

Now here was the part I was a little hesitant about, onions and mushrooms... I've never been a big fan of either, but Maggie has been cooking mushrooms in red wine and reducing until they are almost falling part. So while I was working on cake decorations Maggie and her friend caramelized onions and mushrooms (do you caramelize mushrooms or reduce or cook??? I don't know that one)


Doesn't that look good!? It was really good on the burger too! I have been missing out all these years by not putting them on my burgers! It did make it a little messy, but added so much flavor!


So what fun things do you put on your burgers? There are so many options to make your better burger, how do you choose?

Do you go for veggies: lettuce, tomato, onion
The Carolina style: Mustard, chili, slaw, and onions (love this one without onions)
More BBQ style: onions, bbq sauce, and bacon
Simple: cheese, bacon, mustard, mayonnaise 

Until next time! xo



Comments