Quality Time

Sorry it's been awhile; life has been challenging the last week. With Hurricane Irene headed right for NC I was asked to stay at work Friday Night. I wish I had taken pictures or our massive sleep over. I felt like I was back in high school, claiming a good spot for Finn and I and setting up my air mattress, helping others and laughing and snacking until around midnight....

And then there was our rude awakening at 6:25. In all honesty, it wasn't a bad night and the residents really enjoyed us staying in the building. I think it made them feel safer knowing that we weren't at home panicking.

Finn was a HUGE hit at work. I think I will be taking him more often. Maybe even tomorrow since my afternoon volunteer had to cancel. We really didn't  have a lot of damage in my neighborhood, a few trees down and lots of limbs and leaves. The pool was over flowing but the pond wasn't even near full. Wilmington got very lucky because it could have been very bad for us just like our neighbors a little more north near Greenville and Aurora.

But back to why I haven't been writing. I finally got a little free time this afternoon, cleaned my house from the hurricane (yes I am just getting around to it) and even had time for an art project. After work I went and bought 110 crayons and a hot glue gun. Here is what it made!


I started by hot glueing crayons in some kind of color order. I took out all the brown, gray, and black. I actually left one in there that is like military green that I didn't like much, but I'll just leave it out next time.


Next I took the canvas outside to use my hair dryer to melt the crayons. I took it out just in case the wax decided to drip off the canvas, which it did a little :)
Here is how it looked when I started.


It started splattering before it began dripping. I thought it would happen faster than it really did, and then my hair dryer sprayed the wax more than I wanted so i would try cutting it down from high to low once the crayons start dripping.


I want to try more of these as gifts too, I think it would be great as a baby gift, either use pinks or blues, or the colors that the parents are using in the nursery. Can't wait and I hope you have fun with this project as well!

Can't wait to get more crayons and make a set out of them and hang them in my front room that I am transforming into my office/craft room/ cake supplies storage. It's a multitasker as well :) Hope you enjoy this, post pictures when you get yours done!

I'm headed to bed, another ten hour day tomorrow at work and SO glad that this is a holiday weekend!



Comments